Monday, January 30, 2012

Month 2 Stats

2 months old. Our little man is 2 months old. I honestly cant believe it. It went so quickly. One minute we were driving 15 down Ward Parkway wondering how we were going to care for such a little person, and now two months later he has been to bars, restaurants, on a train and many family gatherings.

If the first month went fast, the second went faster. I have a feeling it will a be trend...

Here are his stats and fun facts:

Weight/Length: Calvin is 13lbs (75th percentile) and 24 3/4 inches (95th percentile). That means from 3 weeks to 9 weeks he grew 5 1/2 lbs and almost 3 inches. Crazy!

Eating:
Might be Cal's favorite thing to do! Between 1 month and 2 months he was eating about  every 2-3 hours. I am nursing so I wasn't really sure what he was getting. But when we gave bottles he would take about 3-4 oz.

Right at 2 months I switched to pumping and giving him bottles during the day and nursing at night and the morning so I could prepare for going back to work. He is eating every 3 hours on the dot and most of the time 4-5 oz no problem. If I nurse instead of bottle feed he will want a  bottle about 2 hours later to fill up again.

He loves eating in the middle of the night from me, but sometimes he eats just to see me :) Sweet yes, sleep no...

Sleep:
Might be his least favorite thing to do. As I write this he is yelling into the monitor. We start bedtime most nights around 8 or 9 and are lucky if he is sleeping by 10:30 or 11. Midnight is what he prefers, but about 2-3 times a week it is 1 or 2am before he even gets to sleep for the first time. Needless to say this will not work when I go back to work.

 I get up with him during the week, Kevin helps on the weekends so I can sleep a little. I am beginning to think he is a night owl. After he gets to sleep he is up exactly 3 hours from his last feeding. My body recognizes he is going to eat before he does. I wake up, look at the clock and count down until he starts to cry. about 30-45 minutes later I am back in bed and 3 hours after he ate he is back up. This continues until 5:30am when he always wakes. Same time Kevin gets up for work. I feed him and put him down again. If he doesn't sleep I am bad and put him in bed with me. If I am lucky he will sleep a few more hours in his bed and then he eats and comes to cuddle until about 10am or 11am.

 So you might say I do sleep, but I am up from 5:30 until about 8 when I can fall back asleep or he wakes up to eat at 8 and I get a few light Zzz'z with him sleeping next to my chest for a few more hours.

( Still yelling...more crying...trying to not go get him, its been 15 mins).

Long sleep story short, once I go back to work in 2 weeks I hope he is so tired from school ( I like school better than day care) that he finally sleeps! For now I will have to live with 2-3 hours at a time.

Developments:
He is so amazing, no sleep and all. He is looking, smiling, talking, kicking, punching, wiggling, dancing, semi laughing ( just a silly sound he likes to make), and just being plain awesome! He is great at tummy time and can even sit in his bumbo for a few minutes.

He plays on his mat and kicks and bats and his toys. He grabs hands and hair ( that's why I chopped mine off about 9 inches). He looks all over and stares right into my eyes when I sing him "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. We love watching Glee and old Musicals and despite my best efforts, he loves looking at the TV. He is such a little person now and it is so fun to witness his world opening up.

 (25 mins of crying, put the paci back in and he is out! 9:46pm its a new record!)

Set Backs:
Wish he didn't have any, but Cal doesn't like to sleep on his left side. This means his right side of his head is flatter than the left. It also means his neck is quite tight and we have to do stretches every day to help him loosen up and get a nice pretty head so he can sport his dad's hair do. If he doesnt get it down in 2 weeks we have to go see a physical therapist at Children's Mercy to help us out.

Side notes: This past week after nursing for 9 weeks I got Masitits. I had heard of it before but I really didnt know much about it. To all  mom's and future mom's I hope you never get it. I thought I had a bad cold and I also felt like someone punched me in the chest. The pain in my chest was actually an infected milk duct. Awful!

 I had a fever of 102-102.9 for about 36 hours and the worst chills and aches I had ever had. I laid in bed awake because I was too cold and in too much pain to sleep. Thank goodness my mom told me about Masitits so I called my OB/GYN and she got me on some drugs. This all started on Thursday night and even now on Monday night I am still dizzy. I had never felt like this in my life and I have been sick alot!

Kevin was amazing and stayed up Thursday night with Cal, stayed home from work on Friday to take care of Cal and me and stayed up again on Friday with Cal. We couldn't have made it through without him!


Maternity leave:
Its almost over and I am getting quite sad. I am glad to go back to work and do my hair and wear makeup, but not looking forward to wearing clothes in a size I dislike and being away from my little dude. I have learned over the past 10 weeks that being someones life line is an amazing job. I could not be more honored that God choose me to be Cals mom and I was able to take the full 12 weeks to spend with just him.

 We have built such a strong bond and being away is going to break my heart everyday. I have not done laundry, used the crockpot, sang him songs, danced with him, read to him, played on all fours, cried, laughed, sighed, kissed, hugged and loved more than my heart ever thought it could. I have learned how to be a mom, while still being a wife and friend. I havent done it perfectly, in fact I make mistakes each day, but  there is nothing I would ever trade for the time I was able to spend at home.

Valentines Day will be a bitter sweet day for me this year as it is my first day back on the job, but the real joy of the day will be when I get to go to my second job at home and just be Cal's mom and Kevin's wife.







To my little man:



No comments:

Post a Comment